electron-phonon effect on electron-electron correlation

Discussion around electron-phonon

Moderator: stiwari

luca.montana
Affiliation:

electron-phonon effect on electron-electron correlation

Post by luca.montana »

Dear all,

There are some papers investigating the effect of electron-electron correlation on electron-phonon coupling.
Question : is there no impact of electron-phonon coupling on electron-electron correlation ? Or is the impact of both effects on each other equivalent ?

Best wishes,
LUCA

NFH
Affiliation:

Re: electron-phonon effect on electron-electron correlation

Post by NFH »

Hi Luca,

thinking in terms of self-energies and Dyson equations: the effect should be one both sides. Unfortunately I can't find a paper dealing exactly with this questions (maybe Schnhoff et al. Phys. Rev. B 94, 134504 (2016).)
However the question of phonons mediating/affecting an electron-electron interaction should have been discussed quite often.

best
Nicki

luca.montana
Affiliation:

Re: electron-phonon effect on electron-electron correlation

Post by luca.montana »

Dear Nicki,

"thinking in terms of self-energies and Dyson equations: the effect should be one both sides"
Yes, this is also my opinion. The effect should be symmetric. Just wanted to be sure.

"However the question of phonons mediating/affecting an electron-electron interaction should have been discussed quite often."
In my opinion this is not at all discussed so often at GW level.

What I see in just a few papers is the effect of electron-electron on the electron-phonon coupling; however there is no unique picture.
For some materials the G0W0 increases the electron-phonon coupling whereas for others it decreases.
However, naively I would expect that since in GW the screening is decreased, the coupling should increase for all materials at least at 0 K!
But this seems to be not the case! It is not clear to me why it it so!

Best,
LUCA