electronic spectral function - running time

Post here questions linked with issue while running the EPW code

Moderator: stiwari

NFH
Affiliation:

electronic spectral function - running time

Post by NFH »

Dear all,

I am currently calculating the electronic spectral function for (a) 2D system(s).
I define ~300kp along a high-symmetry line and want at least 800k-1200k random q-points. I know from single k-point calculations the self-energies
are converged then.

Unfortunately these calculations take quite an amount of memory and cpu-time for the spectral functions; in my opinion way to much compared to other (comparable) calculations within EPW. I am currently running @80prcs and need ~15min per 100 qp; thats by far to long to get a result at the end for 800k qpoints.

So my questions are:
(i) Do you find these times plausible?
(ii) Do you find any (stupid) parameter I set which might lead to these long running times?
(iii) Is there a possibility to restart such a specfun calc. when interrupted at a certain amount of qp?

The (most) influencing parameters I've set to the following:

elph = .true.
kmaps = .true.
epbwrite = .false.
epbread = .false.
epwwrite = .false.
epwread = .true.
etf_mem = .true.

iverbosity = 3

elecselfen = .true.
phonselfen = .false.

parallel_k = .true.
parallel_q = .false.

fsthick = 3.1 ! eV
eptemp = 10 !300.0 K!
degaussw = 0.05 !0.02 ! eV ! 0.03 !0.01

specfun = .true.
wmin_specfun = -2.0
wmax_specfun = 0.0
nw_specfun = 10000

system_2d = .true.
rand_q = .true.
rand_nq = 600000

Thanks a lot in advance,
Nicki

sponce
Site Admin
Affiliation: EPFL

Re: electronic spectral function - running time

Post by sponce »

Dear Nicki,

I can see multiple reasons for this:

1) iverbosity = 3 means it will keep the mode resolved into memory instead of just summing on them. This will increase the memory need

2) nw_specfun = 10000 That is a lot of freq. points. If you do just a calculation of the self-energy, it corresponds to evaluate the el-ph self-energy at \omega=KS eigenenergy.
So it means you only do 1 freq. points.

3) The spectral function routines might be slightly less optimized than the electron self-energy one. You can try to compare them and see if there are differences for the part that are common.

For the restart, I don't think it works at the moment but it should not be very difficult to make it work. You can have a look at the restart feature for the electron self-energy and replicate this. I will eventually do it but I'm not sure when. If you do code this, please do share it with us and I'll include it.

Best,
Samuel
Prof. Samuel Poncé
Chercheur qualifié F.R.S.-FNRS / Professeur UCLouvain
Institute of Condensed Matter and Nanosciences
UCLouvain, Belgium
Web: https://www.samuelponce.com

NFH
Affiliation:

Re: electronic spectral function - running time

Post by NFH »

Thanks a lot Samuel,

keeping the ph-mode-resolved SE in memory is of course stupid; I should have seen this in the output.
I had in mind when using less frequency bins the spectral function always looked shabby, but I'll try this out.

On another note; how far have you proceeded with the iterative solution of the electron BTE? May I ask wether you'll use a variational principle or Rodes iterative scheme as solver to obtain the mobilities?

cheers,
Nicki