Query about the parameter degaussw

General discussion around the EPW software

Moderator: stiwari

anindya@iiita
Affiliation:

Query about the parameter degaussw

Post by anindya@iiita »

Dear Experts,
I would like to know the range of degaussw (Smearing in the energy-conserving delta functions). What range of degaussw values should I choose for convergence? It is defined that the default value of degaussw is 0.025 ev. We can't go below the value 0.025 but what is the maximum range of degaussw to obtain converged result? Please let me know.

Thanks and regards,
Anindya Bose
Research Fellow,
IIIT Allahabad

sponce
Site Admin
Affiliation: EPFL

Re: Query about the parameter degaussw

Post by sponce »

Dear Anindya Bose,

The larger the value of degaussw, the faster you should converged (i.e. the smallest the fine grid required to converged).
On the other hand, it will converge to a "wrong value" (i.e. a value different from the one you would get with true delta functions and infinite sampling).

Therefore there should be an optimum: you should use the largest value possible such that your results do not change too much.

Personally, I always use 0.005 or 0.001 (5 or 1 meV) to be on the accurate side but larger value can be used (some publications used 0.1=100 meV for example. Although recent publication usually use 10 meV).
It also depend on the physical quantities you are looking at as well as your system.

Best wishes,
Samuel
Prof. Samuel Poncé
Chercheur qualifié F.R.S.-FNRS / Professeur UCLouvain
Institute of Condensed Matter and Nanosciences
UCLouvain, Belgium
Web: https://www.samuelponce.com