band index and k points of anisotropic Eliashberg output

General discussion around the EPW software

Moderator: stiwari

jiachen
Affiliation:

band index and k points of anisotropic Eliashberg output

Post by jiachen »

Dear All,

I am studying the example of MgB2 anisotropic Eliashberg equation. When the calculation was done, I had a file of quasi-particle energy, renormalization and gap function as a function of imaginary frequencies in the file: MgB2.imag_aniso_XX. For the example given, I counted 146 rows for each frequency. From the output file, I can see, the fine k grid is 20*20*20, 8000 points, with 484 irreducible k-point on the uniform grid. There are 2 bands and 120 irreducible k-point on the uniform grid within the Fermi shell. So, it seems to me 120*2 should be the reasonable number of points at each frequency. I am confused why I got 146 in the output file. I guess the general question is how band index and k points are arranged in output file: prefix.imag_aniso_XX . Thank you!

roxana
Affiliation:

Re: band index and k points of anisotropic Eliashberg output

Post by roxana »

Hi,

The prefilx.imag_aniso_XX file contains the following information

WRITE(iufilgap,'(5a20)') '# w [eV]', 'Enk-Ef [eV]', 'Znorm(w) [eV]', 'Delta(w) [eV]', 'NZnorm(w) [eV]'
DO iw = 1, nsiw(itemp) ! loop over omega
DO ik = 1, nkfs
DO ibnd = 1, nbndfs
IF ( abs( ekfs(ibnd,ik) - ef0 ) .lt. fsthick ) THEN
WRITE(iufilgap,'(5ES20.10)') wsi(iw), ekfs(ibnd,ik)-ef0, AZnormi(ibnd,ik,iw), ADeltai(ibnd,ik,iw), NAZnormi(ibnd,ik,iw)
ENDIF
ENDDO ! ibnd
ENDDO ! ik
ENDDO ! iw

The first loop is over frequency, the second over the irreducible k-points within the Fermi shell, the third of the bands with energy within the Fermi shell.

Best,
Roxana
Roxana Margine
Associate Professor
Department of Physics, Applied Physics and Astronomy
Binghamton University, State University of New York

jiachen
Affiliation:

Post by jiachen »

Dear Roxana,

Thank you very much for the explanation. But, I still don't fully understand this, according to the output
"Nr. of irreducible k-points on the uniform grid: 484"
"Nr irreducible k-points within the Fermi shell = 120 out of 484"
What happens here is that some k points within the "Fermi shell" do NOT satisfy "abs( ekfs(ibnd,ik) - ef0 ) .lt. fsthick"
If fsthick is not the criterion for "Fermi shell", Can you explain to me what makes the Fermi shell, and how the number of k points is reduced from 484 to 120? I really appreciate your patience!

Cheers

roxana
Affiliation:

Post by roxana »

Hi,

fsthick is the criterion for defining the Fermi shell and as a result the nr of irreducible points is reduced from 484 to 120 ("nkfs=120")

All the k-points within the Fermi shell have at least one band that satisfies the condition "abs( ekfs(ibnd,ik) - ef0 ) .lt. fsthick".
This means that for each k-point within the Fermi shell not all "nbndfs" are printed to file but only those bands that satisfy the condition "abs( ekfs(ibnd,ik) - ef0 ) .lt. fsthick".
So in your case if "nbndfs=2", some of the nkfs points will have 1 band and others 2 bands within the Fermi shell.

Best,
Roxana
Roxana Margine
Associate Professor
Department of Physics, Applied Physics and Astronomy
Binghamton University, State University of New York

jiachen
Affiliation:

Post by jiachen »

Dear Roxana,

Thank you very much!