Couldn't reproduce phonon bandstructure with EPW but electron bandstructure is accurate.

General discussion around the EPW software

Moderator: stiwari

psharma
Affiliation: university of minnesota

Couldn't reproduce phonon bandstructure with EPW but electron bandstructure is accurate.

Post by psharma »

Hi everyone,
Before my actual calculations with EPW, I'm trying to check my band structure after wannierization.
I've been able to reproduce the electronic band structure with a good match between pw.x and EPW after wannierization. However my phonon dispersion has not matched accurately and also have some negative frequencies. I used course k grid as 8*8*8 and q-grid as 4*4*4. I've attached my plots.
I could do the ph.x calculation on 8*8*8 grid but they are computationally very expensive.
Can anyone suggest what can be done to accurately reproduce phonon band structure?
Thanks!
Prachi
Attachments
Electronic bandstructure
Electronic bandstructure
electronic_Banstructure.png (75.39 KiB) Viewed 4152 times
Phonon bandstructure
Phonon bandstructure
phonon-dispersion.png (88.98 KiB) Viewed 4152 times

hlee
Affiliation: The University of Texas at Austin

Re: Couldn't reproduce phonon bandstructure with EPW but electron bandstructure is accurate.

Post by hlee »

Dear Prachi:

Could you provide all inputs and outputs for the generation of phonon dispersions with ph.x (+q2r.x, matdyn.x, etc.) and EPW?

Sincerely,

H. Lee

psharma

Re: Couldn't reproduce phonon bandstructure with EPW but electron bandstructure is accurate.

Post by psharma »

Dear Hyungjun,

Please find the attached zip folder with all the files.
Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Prachi.
Attachments
PdCoO2_calculations.zip
(143.57 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

hpaudya1
Affiliation:

Post by hpaudya1 »

Hi Prachi,

Could you double-check your "path.dat" and use "crystal" coordinates if you have not? Maybe this discussion is helpful viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1623

Best,
Hari Paudyal

psharma

Post by psharma »

Dear Hari,

Yes, the path file is correct and it is in crystal coordinates. It is same for both electronic and phonon band structure.

Best regards,
Prachi.

hpaudya1
Affiliation:

Post by hpaudya1 »

Hi Prachi,

One more important thing you can check is "asr_typ"; https://docs.epw-code.org/doc/Inputs.html#asr-typ

You can try;
1) By default, EPW uses the 'simple' rule. Could you double-check which rule you have used in QE? and make it 'simple' in QE run (if you have used another) and compare?
2) If you want to apply 'crystal' rule in EPW, you need to set "lifc = .true." and "asr_typ = 'crystal' " and provide ifc.q2r file in "dvdcf_fir = ../phonons/save" directory (in your case, ifc.q2r file is "flfrc = 'PdCoO2.k444.fc' " obtained from q2r run). See https://docs.epw-code.org/doc/Inputs.html#lifc for detail.

Best,
Hari

psharma

Post by psharma »

Hi Hari,

I have use zasr = 'simple' in my q2r input file. So, the default value of EPW should work in my case.

Best regards,
Prachi.

hlee
Affiliation: The University of Texas at Austin

Post by hlee »

Dear Prachi:

Even if you used the default value for the acoustic sum rule, you can calculate the phonon dispersion with EPW starting from the interatomic force constants obtained by q2r.x ; please check the post above by Hari.
This is the same as done in matdyn.x and I would like to suggest you to check whether you can reproduce the results from matdyn.x by following this approach.

Sincerely,

H. Lee

psharma

Post by psharma »

Dear H. Lee and Hari,

As per your suggestion, I performed epw with lifc=.True. with asr = "simple". I'm able to reproduce the phonon dispersion of matdyn correctly.
To understand it correctly, now my dynamically matrices are evaluated using ifc.q2r file and not with wannierization, right?
Please kindly suggest what I can do now to get correct wannierization to proceed further.
Thanks!

Best regards,
Prachi.

hpaudya1
Affiliation:

Post by hpaudya1 »

Hi Prachi,

If you look at your output file (calculated with lifc = .true.), it is explicitly written "Dyn mat calculated from ifcs" from the following line of the code; https://gitlab.com/QEF/q-e/-/blob/devel ... r.f90#L531

Maybe I did not understand what you mean by "what I can do now to get correct wannierization to proceed further"? As far as you can reproduce your band structure and phonon dispersion, it looks correct to me.

Best,
Hari